Cesarean Scar Pregnancy: Report of Two Cases
Keywords:Cesarean scar pregnancy, suction curettage, laparotomy
Cesarean section scar ectopic pregnancy is rare pregnancy complication. They have become common due to an increase
in cesarean sections worldwide. The following report outlines two cases of scar pregnancy in women; both women had a
history of two previous cesarean sections. Both were type 2 scar pregnancies as they protruded from the uterine myometrium
towards the uterine serosa.1 The first woman initially received suction evacuation. The products, however, could not be
entirely evacuated. As a result, laparotomy was performed. The second patient also underwent laparotomy due to her
symptoms. Obstetricians need to keep a high index of suspicion while managing women with risk factors for an ectopic
scar pregnancy. Failure to detect and pledge rapid treatment can lead to uterine rupture, massive hemorrhage, and maternal
death. In the following report, presentations, and management of these two cases are discussed followed by a review of
- Majangara et al. Cesarean section scar ectopic pregnancy -
a management conundrum: a case report journal of Medical
Case Reports 2019; 13:137.
- Patel MA. Scar ectopic pregnancy. J Obstet Gynaecol India.
; 65(6):372–5. DOI: 10.1007/s13224-015-0817-3.
- Jayaram PM, Okunoye GO, Konje J. Caesarean scar ectopic
pregnancy: diagnostic challenges and management options.
Obstet Gynaecol. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1111/tog.12355
- Timor-Tritsch IE, Monteagudo A, Santos R, et al. The
diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up of cesarean scar pregnancy.
Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012; 207:44.e1-13. DOI:
- Piotr Pêdraszewski, Edyta WlaŸlak, Wojciech Panek, Grzegorz
Surkont J Ultrason 2018; 18: 56–62. doi: 10.15557/ JoU.
- Chiang AJ, La V, Chou CP, Wang PH, Yu KJ: Ectopic
pregnancy in a cesarean section scar. Fertil Steril 2011; 95:
–2389. DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2011.03.104.
- Birch Petersen K, Hoffmann E, Rifbjerg Larsen C, Svarre
Nielsen H: Cesarean scar pregnancy: a systematic review of
treatment studies.Fertil Steril 2016; 105: 958–967. DOI:
- The Practice Committee of the American Society for
Reproductive Medicine Medical treatment of ectopic
pregnancy: a committee opinion. Fertil Steril. 2013;
- M. Kanat-Pektas et al. Systematic review: What is the best
first-line approach for cesarean section ectopic pregnancy?
Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 55 (2016)
-269. DOI: 10.1016/j.tjog.2015.03.009.
- Ayºe Karahasanoglu, MD, Successful Treatment of Cesarean
Scar Pregnancy with Suction Curettage: Our Experiences in
Early Pregnancy. Ochsner Journal 2018; 18:222–225. DOI:
- Ash A, Smith A, Maxwell D. Caesarean scar pregnancy.
BJOG 2007; 114:253–263. .
- Asma Kashif .Scar Ectopic Pregnancy. Journal of the College
of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan 2020; 30(08): 884-885
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Habiba Sharaf Ali
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Journal of Bahria University Medical & Dental College is an open access journal and is licensed under CC BY-NC 4.0. which permits unrestricted non commercial use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. To view a copy of this license, visit https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0